MOHs Hardness Kit Pick Set Mineral Identification Concrete Scratch Test scale
GENUINE DELUXE MOH HARDNESS KIT
- Four double-ended picks with eight points: 2 & 3, 4 & 5, 6 & 7, 8 & 9 on Mohs' Hardness Scale
- A glass plate (hardness of about 5.5) which, when scratched, distinguishes hard from soft minerals
- A second hardness plate with a hardness value of 3.5
- A streak plate for testing a mineral streak color
Product DescriptionHardness is an important and quantifiable physical characteristic of a mineral and in your effort to identify an unknown mineral, the hardness, if known, combined with other properties, can narrow your search to just a handful of possibilities. Simply scratch a smooth surface of your unknown mineral with the picks of various indicated hardness. As an example, if a No. 5 pick scratches the mineral, but a No. 4 pick does not, then your mineral hardness is 4.5. Then compare this against a table of minerals listing hardness values to aid in identifying the unknown mineral. The Deluxe Hardness Pick Set is unique in that, unlike other mineral hardness test tool that use minerals or crystal points, the picks are made of metals and alloys of hardness values equal to 2 through 9 on Mohs hardness scale. Because the picks are made of metal, they are easily ground to sharp points which will not break off and which can be easily sharpened.Included In The Mohs Hardness Pick Set
- Four double-ended picks with eight points comprising 2 and 3, 4 and 5, 6 and 7, 8 and 9 on Mohs' hardness scale.
- A 100 grit polishing stone to keep the points sharp.
- Hardness Table for 300 minerals
- Complete usage instructions.
- All points are stamped with the indicated hardness value, and the pick body is color coded for quickly finding the desired pick.
- Hardness points can be easily and inexpensively replaced without having to replace the pick bodies.